Tuesday, July 22, 2014

A Diverse Classroom

Many of us teach to a diverse group of students. Well, actually, we all do. Whether we work with students of varying ability levels, ethnicity, economic standing, or age groups...our students are diverse. This is what makes our job interesting, right? We get to love on children who will not receive it elsewhere. We get to experience a culture we have never known before. We get to challenge the gifted and support those who struggle. Our job is unique in that we work with 20+ different {little} people from different walks of life each and every year. I really love this about my job.

I discovered that, although I do love this aspect, I do not embrace the opportunity to expose my children to the difference among them. I have always struggled to make my classroom a "diverse environment". This was one of my personal goals this year, and will likely be part of my PDP. I have started this process by adding some new "decor" to my classroom walls. I did not previously have a map in my classroom, so I was super pumped when I scored this one for free. It even has the country names and flags around the edges! Our social studies curriculum will allow us to spend some time talking about where we are from. We also spend time during the holiday season exploring "Christmas Around the World". This wall will be put to good use during those units! But I plan to refer to these all throughout the year. I am excited to talk with the students about customs in other countries - - and really just to explain that there ARE other countries. I know my class consists of several students from South America, so I am eager to have them share, as well.
Another way to incorporate diversity in the classroom is by exploring the different kinds of families in our classroom. I will be asking students to bring one picture of their family. Some may bring a picture with 2 parents, some with only 1. While some students will have many people in the photograph, others may only have a few. We may see pets, grandparents, real aunts, or maybe the kind of aunt that is truly just a family friend. We will see parents that look like their children, and some that do not. We will see different races, different clothing styles, and different images surrounding the families. Most importantly, everyone will be represented, and we will all have a home-to-school connection!
Monday was our first mandatory workday. We had a staff meeting scheduled from 8:30-4:00. Our principal was very generous in many different ways. We played a few fun games to boost morale, and discussed some important back-to-school information. Then, our principal handed out a children's book to each staff member. He picked a different book for each grade level that he felt was most appropriate. They were all books that he has read and really enjoys. I thought that was really kind of him! And wouldn't you know it, he further supported my efforts by providing 1st grade with a book called It's Back to School We Go!
This book, by Ellen Jackson, describes what school looks like for children all over the world. Each page focuses on Back to School time for a different country. I can't wait to read this with my students!

All in all, I am feeling pretty good about the steps I've taken to be more culturally aware. I will continue to look for more ways to promote a deeper understanding of culture in my classroom!

How do you embrace diversity in your rooms?


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment